Germany 5 - 1 Ireland
Miroslav Klose continued his fine form in the the International Cup to bring Germany back from a goal down against Ireland and secure a fifth consecutive semi-finals appearance.
Several spurned opportunies allowed Ireland to score with their first chance of the match, breaking Rene Adler's clean sheet streak. Klose responded with a quickfire brace, and Spielenführer, Michael Ballack added an emphatic hat trick. The 5-1 win continued Germany's perfect run, and Klose, et al are keen to bring a third piece of silverware back to Berlin.
Ireland 3 - 2 Italy
Shrugging off their disappointing result in Berlin, Ireland ended their tumultuous tournament on a high, knocking Italy out of the competition. The Italians could not hold on to a 0-2 lead as Murphy's law prevailed to give the hosts all three points. The result sees Brazil almost advance without having to play a match, as their goal difference is currently superior to Italy's. A point from their remaining two matches (an already through Germany side and a dire Dutch eleven) is all that is needed and looks likely.
Apologies for putting Thompson already through on the schedule, I miscalculated when I updated it, and only now realized the error when writing this. Once I return to home base I will be able to/and will fix the error.
ReplyDeleteBest of luck breaking through that stout Dutch defense, Thompson.
ReplyDeleteAbout as stout as a Bud Lite
ReplyDeleteAnd the harsh bite of a Bud Light Lime.
ReplyDelete