The DFA Fall 2020 Season - Opening Day Headlines - LFC Maul CFC 9-0, Burns Melts Down...

13 November 2012

'Pool Joint Top After Gunner Horror Show

Jamie Carragher was hardly tested against a puzzling Arsenal gameplan.
A bizarre performance from Arsenal handed Liverpool three points and joint top spot in the group, as the Gunners flailed to a 3-1 loss.

"I couldn't tell if he was trying to prove a point, or what. All I know is, I hope he continues with this gameplan."

Words from a bemused L. Pruitt after tonight's Champions Cup match. No doubt he was referring to Arsenal's over-reliance on crossing in their loss at Anfield.  

"I saw a similar version of this [strategy] in our league match several weeks ago," Pruitt continued, "but this was taking the mick."

Liverpool dominated possession, and quickly established their attacking rhythm, notching three warning shots in the first 10 minutes. They were not heeded, however, and Luis Suarez made the gunners pay, slotting home after collecting a Steven Gerrard pass inside the area. Liverpool continued to pile on the pressure through Oussama Assaidi's cool finish and Suarez was again on hand to nod home the third after Raheem Sterling's effort was brilliantly saved.

Olivier Giroud managed a long range consolation goal for Arsenal, but truth be told, 3-1 flattered Tindle's men. They never tested Liverpool's back line, and every one of their 13 crosses were easily cut out by a defender. One wonders if managing a team like France has spoiled the Arsenal gaffer; goals may take a bit more effort with this side.

11 comments:

  1. Worked for France to be fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 goals from distance.
    3 goals from crosses.

    Wasn't as bad as when I plate arsenal though. I saw much of the same when I thumped him. With the "best midfield" in the world you'd think he play through the middle more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just to be clear. There's nothing wrong with putting in crosses. But their is a proper way and a hilariously awful way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Methinks it was just someone playing the "head 2 head seasons" odds:

      1. Keeper collects shot
      2. Winger collects 'keeper throw
      3. Winger makes cross at full sprint
      4. ???
      5. Profit

      Delete
  4. 4-0 win 7-1 win.. intentional stalling for weeks.. 1-3 loss.

    i texted to play right away but this match was intentionally sat on to allow me to cool off. a despicably low tactic but turned out to be an effective one.. congrats to liverpool on a hard fought group stage, all but meaningless match. i was tired of being the only one to write articles on here anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The despicably low tactic that was effective was the ridiculous amounts of crosses you've been forcing in? It failed horribly in your game against me with arsenal, worked with France, and then failed horribly against Liverpool. You have been playing in a manner that I would play if I were trying to mock you. You've turned your style of play into a parody of your style of play.

      Delete
    2. It's almost like I'm playing on your screen name to mock you. An over the top version of how you normally play.

      Delete
    3. Don't forget the 4-0 loss prior to the 4-0 win with France. It seems all the stats are saying is that Arsenal isn't set up for the run and gun, off-balance, weaker foot crossing game. I, for one, am shocked.

      Let the record also show, that I had to wait to play as well; coming off the back of a hard fought win over the highest rated club in GIMP history - a momentum builder to say the least.

      Delete
  5. That retarded picture of a lizard was better than anything you posted to be fair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That picture is amazing...and deep

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dropping from 2nd to 4th in the champions leave group where only 3 make it out? Yes, meaningless indeed

    ReplyDelete