| Ox and Theo each grab a goal |
The match itself was fairly one-sided with the Gunners firing 20 shots (15 on target) but only netting 2. It would be all they needed as they cruised comfortably to a 2-1 win in the first leg of their Champions Cup qualifier.
The first goal saw exciting newcomer Lukas Podolski calmly nudge a pass around the keeper to youngster Alex Oxlade-Chamberlin who couldn't miss an open net from 5 yards out. Waves of attack ensued with the more talented side clearly shining through. It would be Podoliski, once again, causing the trouble to lead to a goal as Theo Walcott crashed in to collect a rebounded shot and easily slot it in to an unguarded near post.
Palermo showed some late signs of life with their star striker, Fabrizio Miccoli, working between Arsenal defenders Tomas Vermaelen and Kieran Gibbs to find space and net a late goal. The former would find himself with an ankle injury late on that will have him miss time and immediately ask questions of manager Adam Tindle who has this to say:
"We're happy with the result though it will be difficult to work around Verminator's injury. Arshavin, I could care less as I only brought him on to save Lukas from an injury. While I won't have that luxury next match, maybe the knock he picked up will give him time to watch players who actually keep their work rate high on both sides of the ball."
As far as the season overall, Tindle has high hopes for his perennial youngsters. "I think we have the quality in passing which should finally make a difference this year. In the past, it was all about the Drogba and Totti types bullying their way to undeserved goals. This year, I believe players will be rewarded for timely passes that find intelligent runs from lads up top. We saw that with Miccoli's goal, and our side constantly ebbing and flowing through the pitch should give us many opportunities as Chambo saw this afternoon."
Match Facts:
Arsenal 2 Palermo 1
Goals: Oxlade-Chamberlin, Walcott, Miccoli
Assists: Podolski, Ilicic
Bookings: Pisano (yellow)
Injuries: Vermaelen, Arshavin, Arevalo Rios
Motm: Walcott
If we want to make this more realistic then we should just assume that Vermaelen will get hurt in "training" and should have to sit out 2 more matches. When Wilshere goes down he's out until fifa 14. How say you guys? I'm in
ReplyDeleteperfect, then when they come back it'll be "like a new signing"!
ReplyDeleteAtletico and Uruguay? Did I miss something ?
ReplyDeleteAlso, for the commish- we may need to expand the schedule size in the margin based on the amount of injuries so far. Would it be efficient to split between upcoming and completed matches (have a separate column for each)? A bit selfish but I'd like to see results and maybe it'll help create more space for injured player names?
Nvm, just noticed you did post the score- nice.
ReplyDeleteSpiffy write-up. Well done.
ReplyDelete