The DFA Fall 2020 Season - Opening Day Headlines - LFC Maul CFC 9-0, Burns Melts Down...

11 March 2013

Cushing Staves Off Relegation in 10-goal Shootout

Embattled PSG manager Mike Cushing had cause to celebrate after his lads set off some fireworks in a 7-3 victory over Arsenal to avoid relegation for a third (fourth? who knows) consecutive season.

A handful of early defensive miscues by Arsenal led to an early brace for PSG striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who wound up with 4 goals on the night, including a penalty after being brought down in the box in the final minutes of the match.

Manager Adam Tindle managed to rally his squad in the second half to make the match closer, but the Parisian club kept the pressure high up the pitch and took advantage of any opening the Gunners provided.

Having been on the receiving end of a number of lopsided matches, Cushing remained humble even while he celebrated not having to find a new club to embarrass in the upcoming campaign.

"Sometimes everything just goes right on the pitch, and luckily we were able to take advantage of the opportunities we were given," Cushing said. "I'm just excited that we were able to play hard and live to fight another day."

Though Palermo has already sacked manager Chris Ingoglia, Cushing said he's pleased that he'll remain at the helm of PSG for at least one more season.

5 comments:

  1. Don't wanna go home!
    Don't wanna go home!
    This is this best trip, I've ever been on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems shady to me...Arsenal conveniently losing...7-3??? Then turns around and beats Barca 3-0? How can there be so much corruption in a 6 team league?????? Cush, if you played well and scored 7, congrats, but it don’t smell right…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can certainly say that there was no collusion between Tindle and I, pre- or mid-match. He was playing a definite B/C squad, which may have been due to the DFA Cup coming up for him. I will say that one or two of my early goals did seem a bit convenient, off Arsenal miscues. But, I think the rest of my goals were well-worked and earned. I saved a few of those goals, I'll see if I can upload them (which I tried, but can't find on the FIFA site).

      Delete
  3. This match was completely meaningless to me. I started players with ratings in the 50's (Gnabry 58, Eisfeld 56, etc) against the likes of Ibrahimovic, Menez, Pastore, etc. My only concern was avoiding bookings and injuries. That said, Cushing earned the win without a doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I belive the San Antonio Spurs were fined $250,000 for sitting their stars...wonder if the commish will find this behavior unethical towards the DFA spirit of competition. Probably not.

    ReplyDelete