I was able to sit down and discuss where it all went wrong for England this season with their gaffer, D. Burns.
L.P. - So why all the confidence in pre-season? Do you regret any of that now?
D.B. - No, I think we were right to be confident heading into the tournament. We were coming off three consecutive trips to the semi-finals and have been to the finals two of the last three years. We felt that we had a very good shot at making it back to the finals this year and were very hopeful that we could claim our second International Cup.
Leading up to the tournament our team performed very well against the Germans and the Irish in a few friendly matches. The players that we selected for the squad were proving themselves against the toughest competition and we had high hopes that this unit of players would be able to do their country proud. Unfortunately things didn't work out. All that confidence that was built up against the Germans was destroyed the first night in the group stage against French. I didn't get my team prepared enough to face our competition in the group stage. We were clearly looking past the group stage matches when scheduling friendlies. Perhaps a few quick "head to head" matches would've proven better than practicing true football tactics against the league's top managers.
L.P. - Do you feel you could have been more successful with a different squad selection? Perhaps one suited to a more "direct" style of play?
D.B. - Do I think we would've fared better had I brought a long a few of the United, Spurs, City and Arsenal players along? Its not something I even want to think about really. I picked the players that I was going to have the most fun playing with not the ones that I openly root against on weekly basis. Jack (Wilshere) was an easy choice to make because I haven't really had the opportunity to cheer against him in about a calender year (digital & real life). I couldn't imagine what it would feel like to score the winner in a match with Scott Parker, Rooney or a player that has f****d over my club in real life. I'm especially proud of Robert Green. In a game where it all it takes is a class goal keeper to keep you in games I'm proud of what my Championship keeper did for us.
L.P. - What will be different for England next season?
D.B. - I don't think we change a thing to be honest. I'm proud of my team for trying to compete and play the right way. I don't think bringing about a bunch of glitch monkeys will solve anything. It might get me a few more wins but I'd rather play football, not FIFA, with the 11 guys that I truly care about.
L.P. - Thank you for your time.
I'm confused. Are certain players on City, Spurs, United, and Arsenal glitch players or just players you don't like? You see, as much you hate some of these players, bottom line is, in real life the produce, they score.
ReplyDeleteI can't stand Rooney. Can't stand him, but I'm not blind to see that he is a very talented player and that he is better than some of your starting 11.
You wanna play real football Mr. Manager? Than act like a real manager. I highly doubt that real managers choose their team solely based on personal relationships and interleague rivalaries. They would be immediately fired if a common consensus agreed that the nations top players were held from the roster because of who they like and dislike as people. Nation's want to win, not have fun losing (if that even makes sense).
This is why fans don't manage. Emotions get in the way. You played the game like a fan, not a manager
ReplyDeleteYes I am wrong to play a game for the purpose of having fun. What a crazy concept.
ReplyDeleteAlso, managers don't play players they don't get a long with all the time. Carlos Tevez could really be helping City right now but instead he's sitting at home because he and Mancini don't get a long.
ReplyDeleteDon't get a long what?
ReplyDeleteIf losing with the lesser talented players is fun for you, then by all means enjoy. I'm doing it with Palermo.
ReplyDeleteAs for Man City, they don't need Tevez. They are at the top and winning without him. If they were losing and Tevez was a key factor that produced wins, and Mancini still didn't play him, his job would be on the line.
Also it's much differnt from club to nation. Ownership and management bring in a squad for a club. Doesn't a manager for the national team have final word on who is on his squad?
I lack some knowledge here. Will someone tell me what players David left off the England squad that are currently on the real England squad?
I imagined Pruitt as James Lipton while reading this, and I'm better off for the experience.
ReplyDeleteRooney, Ferdinand, Young, Lennon, Parker, Jones, and probably more.
ReplyDeleteThe first 4 listed would have been enough to keep up with Italy and France's "finest".
To preempt the hand wringing and gnashing of teeth, finest is in quotes because the players making a digital impact are not the ones who will when Euro 2012 rolls around.
ReplyDeleteVery nice touch on the "finest."
DeleteI don't follow the game as much as you and I'm quite sure I have players on my squad that no longer play for Italy. When it comes to FIFA, I'm a numbers guy simply because I don't know enough. I'm too wrapped up in American sports. I'm sure if we played Madden or MLB, I'd ignore all numbers and put the real squad out there.
How about this, next season, I vow to look up the roster for Italy and put out the accurate squad
Well, let me change my concern then. I honestly have zero problem if you, David, want to play with the players you enjoy. After all, we are fans, and we are trying to just enjoy playing a game.
ReplyDeleteI get a little frustrated when you call them FIFA players and glitch players. If they truly are better than the players you currently have, then FIFA got it right. I understand your disdain for Rooney. I'm with you all the way. The fact still remains that that down syndrome looking whiny brat has 15 goals and 4 assists this year and continues to produce year in and year out. He is better than the players you picked not because FIFA gave him super powers. It's because he truly is a good footballer. Ugh, I hate saying that.
I guess, I wanna hear you say that you picked your squad because you simply don't like the other guys and that yes they are more talented (not because of FIFA but because of real life) but screw them. I'm gonna win or play to win with the guys I like.
They aren't as fast
ReplyDeleteYou don't watch Rooney play. He hasn't scored from open play in ages.
ReplyDeleteTo deny that Rooney is not better than some of the players you put out there, is ignorant.
DeleteBut let's forget about him. Pruitt listed other players that could be out there. They are not glitchy. You just don't like them
Any goal Rooney scores against top half opposition is from the penalty spot. The rest come in one month against relegation candidates. He's been gash since he did his ankle against bayern in the champions league last year.
ReplyDeleteFIFA players are players that are better than the sum of their actual parts. Is Ashley young fast? Yes. Is he good enough to win England a match against France or Italy in real life? No. In FIFA? Yes. Same with Aaron lennon, Walcott, etc.
If these players are not good enough to win in real life, then why are they on the squad? Are you two smarter than real English managers and coaches?
DeleteMaybe you should submit your ideas because the men whose reputations and resumes speak for themselves surely can't be that stupid, can they?
Rio... Tackling radius as big as the center circle in the game but hasn't been relevant in at least a year
ReplyDeleteDarren Bent : 401 app 173 g / .43
ReplyDeleteWayne Rooney : 424 app 181 g / .43
The striker Burns chose is far more consistent, has an identical strike rate, and has done so surrounded by worse service. Why not make that decision based upon personal character?
Oh, because EA rated Rooney based on how he played for one 6 month period in 2010. Cheers.
.43 vs .43
DeleteFar more consistent?
Is that fact or opinion?
Please show me more numbers/statistics that support your claim because all you have shown is identical strike rate (key word identical) but say "far more consistent"
They aren't good enough. What has England won since '66? Sweet f*ck all, that's what.
ReplyDeleteMy question is, then why are they on the real England squad?
DeleteYou said Ashley Young, Lennon, and Walcott as examples. Why are they on the real squad if they aren't good enough?
Why are these players you mention on the losing England team (forget that I said "good enought to win") if the players that Burns has chosen are better?
Pruitt listed 6 players along with "probably more".
ReplyDeleteNo way Fabio plays 6+ players that are worse than what is out there. I can see a nation debate that 1,2, maybe even 3 players got snubbed that shouldn't be, but are his decisions that bad?
Answer this question, does England put out a team that literally has more than half it's starting 11 with players that are worse than what is out there?
Also, I get that FIFA overrates players. I don't have the numbers off my head but if Rooney is an 89 in the game but should be more like a 84, he is still better than the possible 81,82,83 that David plays with.
Oh, and Darren Bent is on the real England squad anyways. I want to discuss guys that Burns has on the roster that the real England squad doesn't. The guys that took Rooney's, Parker's, and Ferdinand's place.
Stop saying fabio because he's not their manager. What are you asking me to answer? L
ReplyDeleteFabio is the one that put the team together Burns.
DeleteI realize he is stepping down and that Redknapp is in line to take over but Fabio is the one that last had the reigns.
Pruitt listed 6+ players that real England plays with that you don't play with.
This is what I want answered:
Is Fabio (or who ever it is that put this England team together) so bad that they left out 6+ better players? Why is England not up in arms over his piss poor roster development if this is true
This is in comparison to your team vs the real England team.
They're good enough to get on the squad in real life because their is no one else. They aren't as good in real life as they are on the game, not even close.
ReplyDeleteAgain, I wanted to play people that I like not people that I could cock goals against you and Tindle with.
No one else? What about the players you chose?
DeleteYou just clearly stated that you chose players that are not as good as the others in real life.
To say this and then say it would be a cock goal to score with a better player makes no sense. If a player is better, why is it a cock goal?
Do we just call anything we don't like cock? Is that the use now? If Parker scored for you, it would be cock because....why?
First of all. Calm down. It's ironic to call me a lunatic when you are the one swearing and losing your temper.
ReplyDeleteIf all you said was I want to play with guys I like, this wouldn't be a discussion.
But you went on to talk about glitchy goals and FIFA players. David, you chose less talented or less successful players because of personal opinion.
Guys that I played that don't in real life:
ReplyDeleteJoe cole
Robert green
Henderson
Gabby
Rodwell
Shawcross
Sinclair
Sturridge
Ok. I have no problem with your decision there.
DeleteBut, there are players on the real England team that are literally better than those guys. I get that FIFA has some of them overrated, but even if you drop their ratings, they are still better.
Stop with the cock, glitchy, and FIFA goals comments. Better players are simply better players. You played with less talented players for personal reasons. If you played with Rooney and he scored a goal, 10-20% of the time, we can all form an opinion that it was an overrated FIFA goal, but that other 80% is simply because he is better
"I couldn't imagine what it would feel like to score the winner in a match with Scott Parker, Rooney or a player that has f****d over my club in real life"
ReplyDeleteReal managers of national teams don't think like this or else they wouldn't last longer than a year at that position
Yes, but they aren't playing a video game moron.
ReplyDeleteOf course not.
DeleteThat has nothing to do with it. Do they pick the best players?
Answer that please
Also funny how when Adam and I argued that we play the way we play because it's fun and just a video game, you had a problem with that.
Are you playing a video game and playing like a video game manager or playing trying to emulate real life? Pick a side because you are flip flopping now
Would England top of the group with Rooney leading all offensive categories me more realistic to you?
ReplyDeleteWould Walcott and Lennon in a dead sprint to the corner flag every posession be more or less cock to you?
First of all, I haven't claimed cockery in years. You guys use it, I don't anymore. So disregard any thought that I would say something is more or less cock.
DeleteNow, why is it that you jump to the conclusion that if Burns had Rooney, he would lead in all categories? Yes it would be less realistic but doesn't mean it's impossible. RVP is currently a one man crew in Arsenal. That's real life. Anyways, you are hung up on Rooney. I was just using him as an example. You listed 6+ players. If all these players were on the team, it would be a combination of goals and assists from multiple players.
Lennon and Walcott sprinting along the wing? Burns did that with Sinclair and sturridge. Doesn't bother me. He used wing play, no? Playing to his strengths
Also, you mentioned all offensive categories.
DeleteWhat else is there besides goals and assists?
MotM. Usually an offensive based award. Except when someone's goalkeeper singlehandedly prevents a bumming.
DeleteThat's 3 categories. I see all the time in different sports, indivdiual players leading in all categories.
DeleteA WR is american football can lead in: TD's, catches, and yards. He is a go to star in a position of 4-5 options.
Any basketball player can lead in: Points, assist, and rebounds.
If Rooney was on his squad, I don't believe that means David would change his play and Rooney would dominate. Does Lampard lead in goals, assists, and MotM awards for Chelsea?
Both stars on their squads.
In not flip flopping you retard. I want to play with my players. In doing so, I tried to play football with them. How's that the same as you guys playing the fundamental part of the game (football) wrong?
ReplyDeleteIt's not. That was a reach.
DeleteMoving on, you didn't answer my question:
Do managers pick the best players?
I already have with not always. I have to watch frank sit on the bench every week despite being out top scorer most of the season because our manager doesn't like him. I also gave you the Tevez example
ReplyDeleteNationally David. National teams.
ReplyDeleteManagers of clubs don't always get to pick and choose who they want.
National managers pick their squad and if they didnt pick the best, they wouldn't be there
I gave you two examples of managers not playing people for personal reasons... How are they not picking who plays?
ReplyDeleteI'm not talking about how plays and doesn't play. I'm talking about who is on the squad. Besides, you gave me club examples. Ownership and other pieces come together sometimes in determining who will be on a club squad. Mancini didn't hand pick his entire squad. It's different for a national team.
DeleteOnce on the squad, and not playing, is a different topic.
WHO plays*
DeleteManagers balance a squad with talent and form. One could see burns' squad as being much more in form than Rio, Walcott, Lennon, and rooney.
ReplyDeleteSo, Burn's is a smarter manager in your eyes than Fabio? The squad that Fabio has put out in the past is in less form than what Burns puts out there?
DeleteThere hasn't been an England squad in months. Holding their world cup performance as reference, how would you rank your boy Fabio's squad?
ReplyDeleteFabio is England's winningest manager in terms of win percentage
ReplyDeleteBecause of two piss easy qualification groups and friendlies against no mark countries. How'd he do in South Africa?
ReplyDeleteLook, I get he is a loser. Is he putting out the best squad and England just doesn't have the talent?
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are saying that if he played with David's squad, he would win more.
Am I wrong?
If he gave youth a chance (a squad closer to David's than fifa's annointed ones), then they probably would. If not immediately than certainly in the near future. See Germany's past 2 tournament squad ages for example.
ReplyDeleteNo England manager has done so, but all have been let down by the "old guard".
Summary: they certainly wouldn't win less.
Ok. Well, after 52 comments, I have come to the conclusion that you believe that FIFA, real life management, and soccer commentators and analysts are collectively wrong in saying how good a player is or which players are better than others.
ReplyDeleteI believe FIFA is wrong. That much is obvious.
ReplyDeleteWas fabio correct in his assessment? He failed miserably did he not?
Analysts (not all) have suggested giving youth a greater share of responsibility. Why continue with what hasn't worked?
Ok. Thank you for being specific. (not sarcastic)
ReplyDeleteThanks Adam. Always lovely when you chime in. I'm not trying to justify anything. I was asked a question and answered it. I selected a weaker squad than I could've because those were the guys I like to play with. I don't care that I didn't qualify for the next round of a the tournament in a league that shouldv'e been over months ago. There is a reason that I will only play against you and Ingo in FIFA this year no more than I am required to by schedule. Its not fun, win or lose, to play against to glitched up a holes. I'm quite content playing other games and occasionally playing friendlies against the only other person that even attempts to mimic the sport that the game is supposed to be based on (and sometimes Ian).
ReplyDeleteYou should never play torres if you don't like to play with glitched up ea superstars. He has scored only once for club and country in his last 19 games
ReplyDeleteHow many has he scored for me in the league?
ReplyDeleteDoesn't change the fact that he's rated 86
ReplyDelete