Ireland came away with all three points as Man of the Match Shane Long made an monumental statement for more playing time. Long was involved in all five Irish goals, scoring four and assisting another. "Shane was simply remarkable," said Irish Manager Ian Thompson after the match. "We weren't sure if we should start Shane or bring him on as an impact sub later on. I think he proved that he deserved all 90."
The reason for Long's inclusion stems back to his previous performance in qualifying against this very same Italy squad. "We felt that Shane proved himself enough in the past match against the Italians off the bench and we wanted to reward him for it. And, quite frankly, I'm glad we did." Thompson remarked in a next day interview.
As for the match, it was another barn-burner between two familiar foes. A total of six goals in the first half alone had Thompson scratching his head. "I'm sure it's fun for the spectators, but for us managers, it makes our stomach turn," Thompson declared. The scoring slowed slightly in the second half with Long knocking the eventual match winner in the 76' before essentially wrapping it up with another in the 88th.
"I'm just glad we were able to hang on for all three points in the end. That's going to be huge moving forward." remarked Thompson. It certainly will be as the Irish have an uphill battle with Tournament Favorites, France, in their group.

I wonder if there will be any negative comments about Long for being a part of all 5 goals including 1 assist.
ReplyDeleteYou know, "one man only scores", and other remarks that Balotelli has had to deal with. Let's see if David and Liam continue their negative banter on actions like this. One would think it's bound to happen. I mean, it can't be that they are just rude/negative to me, Ingo, and not to others right?
*holding my breath
I think the reason why they won't is because that was one game for Shane Long. Keane and Doyle were 2nd and 3rd in the scoring in qualifying.
ReplyDeleteThe difference being Shane has had one outstanding game, where Balotelli has been involved in something like 75% of your goals.
I agree with Ian. This is an isolated incident. Ireland also has half the creative option in the midfield that Italy has. It's harder for them to create goals. That being said, if a fast mick continues to score 80% of his goals he will be slammed on here.
ReplyDeleteGroup B would have to play some matches first. How can we make sweeping generalisations based upon a solitary match between Group B's massive underdogs?
ReplyDelete