The DFA Fall 2020 Season - Opening Day Headlines - LFC Maul CFC 9-0, Burns Melts Down...

24 August 2010

Murphy Returns Home, Keeps Coy on Barca Switch

Brett Murphy has returned to his post as manager of the Irish nation team this afternoon. He announced his move via several cryptic text messages:

"Ireland" 

Followed by:

"It's not that I need to do it, I have to do it."

Then finally:

"He is home."

No one can be sure what the final straw was in persuading Murphy to come home, as he has not provided further comment. The one certainty that exists, however, is that this is the move of a confident man. After citing lack of squad depth and quality during his move to Argentina, it is clear that his improved form at the helm of the Argie squad convinced him he was up for the challenge of managing Ireland once again.

He wrapped up his announcement with a hint that his club future may also lie elsewhere, stating that there would be an,

"Announcement on Barca to follow soon."

Promising that it,

"Might shake the GIMP forever."

Sly stuff indeed. Murphy is odds on favorite to take over at Red Bull New York, solidifying a reunion with former Barcelona ace, Thierry Henry.

In an era where so many managers choose their managerial posts based on strength of squad rather than love or support, this move is refreshing change of pace. Cheers, Murphy, for returning us to the GIMP's days of old.


Murphy International Managerial Factfile:


  • 2006 Fall
    • Takes charge of Ireland in the inaugural GIMP season.
    • Sets GIMP record for fewest ever substitutions over his two years in Dublin (0).
  • 2009 Winter
    • Moves to Argentina after two frustrating campaigns in Ireland.
  • 2010 Spring
    • Reaches his first ever semifinal with Argentina after collecting maximum points in a Group B cakewalk.
  • 2010 Fall
    • Announces his return to Ireland after three seasons in Buenos Aires.

5 comments:

  1. I'd like to first say that the rumor mill was spot on on this one!

    It was a good decision to change to manage a side that you follow, love and support. It works for Pruitt and I internationally (sorry Italy).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It should work for senor Crittenden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Gill Man! I hope this signals a trend towards individual club support.. Is USA the next to be taken off the table?? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ... oh and we'll need to seriously examine the handball situation before this International Cup

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate the support from the all the manager's thus far in my decision to return home. I learned a lot from my time with Argentina, but it's time...I may have a lot of ginger's on my team, but I will run them to death for sure.

    ReplyDelete