
Chants of "Allez Les Bleus!" rung through the Champagne-laden streets as the French faithful celebrated their first International Cup Trophy in GIMP history after beating Liam Pruitt's German side by a final score of 2-1.
With as much controversy as there was heading into this match, most thought it would be impossible to live up to the expectations set by the previous 100 comment posts. A possible offside goal given to the Germans, a soft penalty to the French, and a rare defensive miscue leading to yet another Loic Remy goal should provide the ammunition for a triple-digit comment section yet again.
The match started out tight and tense as both sides tried to feel out their opponent's strategy. On one hand, the Germans came out with their typical meticulously engineered possession passing that the league's soccer snobs have grown to obsess over. The other showed a surprising 4-5-1 formation from the French side which may have been the catalyst to "frustrate" that well-oiled machine by clogging the middle of the pitch and looking for opportunities to utilize a their on-form attacking from Remy, Nasri, and Ribery. This was a vast difference from the 4-2-4 that created so many problems for France's previous opponents but the result shows that one must applaud Monsieur Tindle on his drastic change in tactics.
"I took Ian's advice to heart and had a long talk with Ingo today as well because I value these manager's opinions considering one beat Germany and the other came close. I thought long and hard (that's what she said) about coming out of the gate ultra aggressive but realized, thanks to Bingoglia, that Pruitt is a guy that capitalizes on other's mistakes. We didn't make any today, they did. That was the difference."

The Germans were the first to touch the back of the net in the 25' with a cross thrown in from the wing that Hugo Lloris saved but ended up right back to an apparently offside Mario Gomez who tapped into an open net. France responded within minutes as budding superstar Loic Remy took advantage of a miscue in the German back line where, instead of charging to clear the ball, the defender opened up to pass back to the keeper. Remy stepped in to intercept and it took a cool finish to complete the play but with a player in the kind of form he has seen through the tournament, no one was surprised. 1-1 at the half.
France pulled Florent Malouda in favor of Mathieu Valbuena (the only change to start the second half) which was a move to add pace to their counter attack as the Germans seemed to be pushing forward with their previously posted Blitzkrieg barrage. The move helped to supply Remy once again with a ball that was passed around the box patiently until threading the striker with a through ball that left Mesut Ozil overmatched in a dangerous position. A shove to the ground before touching the ball was deemed a penalty, much to the dismay of Germany's manager who again finds himself in a precarious situation with controversial post-match comments regarding his hatred for what he calls "excessively tan" players. Surely he can count on one manager to hang onto his pocket like an effeminate inmate in prison, but one wonders where the rest of the league will stand on the tantrums and poor sportsmanship that seem to be en vogue.
Tindle would call on Franck Ribery to slam home the penalty which closely evaded Manuel Neuer's dive. It was then France's monster midfield paring of Captain Alou Diarra and defensive partner Yann M'vila who shouted "You shall not pass!" (albeit in French) the rest of the way to help Les Bleus hang on to an improbable victory.
"This title is sweet because we showed a comprehensive display throughout the tournament of attacking in games where we needed to and defending in those that called for it. We kept the pedal to the medal against teams like England and Ireland, but defended in games like our last group stage match against Italy where we knew we had to prioritize goal differential."
"Germany is always a great side and I give them credit for the stat sheet that they immediately texted around after the match. We're not worried about things like shots on goal being 9 to 4 because we were defending a lead for a large part of the match. When we needed to turn on the attack, we did and the shots we took certainly counted. It's sad to see a lack of congratulations given to a cup winning side and when your opponent goes into the same stat sheets and game manufacturer criticisms that have been tossed around ever since other teams started having success, it gets tiring."
What won't be tiring for Les Bleus and M. Adman is the victor's stroll they'll take through the Arc de Triomphe where Napoleon led his army through so long ago. The squad will certainly feel like they've come home from battle and will be happy to add one of the most coveted pieces of silverware to their formerly barren cabinet.

The match facts and screen shots I received tell a much different tale.
ReplyDeleteThat being said. Maybe you should take this opportunity to go out on top. End on a high note and liberate us for your time wasting and apathetic attitude towards the league.
"...utilize a their on-form attacking from Remy, Nasri, and Ribery."
ReplyDelete- Well, 1 out of 3 ain't bad, I suppose.
"possession passing that the league's soccer snobs have grown to obsess over."
- This from an Arsenal supporter.
"the defender opened up to pass back to the keeper."
- Untrue. He was caught between, 'I'm programmed to tackle; and the ball is no longer technically in the strikers possession so now I can calmly turn and collect it; oh...now he's clean through on goal 55 yards out."
"A shove to the ground before touching the ball was deemed a penalty."
- I'll post the photo evidence.
"It was then France's monster midfield paring of Captain Alou Diarra and defensive partner Yann M'vila who shouted 'You shall not pass!'"
- Surely you mean man of the match, Hugo Lloris? You know, the guy with all the point blank saves in the second half.
"It's sad to see a lack of congratulations given to a cup winning side and when your opponent goes into the same stat sheets and game manufacturer criticisms that have been tossed around ever since other teams started having success, it gets tiring."
- You'll get the same congratulations Germany got for all their titles.
- Not as tiring as losing to someone with sub 70% passing, who took the maximum time allowed on every keeper punt and throw in.
Cheers.
Ingo in 3...2...1...
Don't drag me into an argument that leads to me wasting my day and after 100+ comments it ends with nobody changing their OPINIONS
DeleteShocking that you would be the first comment and bring up match facts. How is what I wrote a different story? Not sure how chronicling The match goal by goal would allow me to tell a different story than what happened, nor how taking the time to write a thousand word article could be construed as apathetic..
ReplyDeleteThousand word article after you won a game that took you several weeks to play. How many texts were ignored? How many times were you supposed to play this match before it happened?
DeleteYou should know better than to provide facts and concrete evidence to prove your point on the blog. It doesn't matter how right you are, it will be looked at as bitterness and jealousy. The league is no longer about football and having fun with friends. It's about cocking FIFA wins and making it as difficult as possible to play matches on a consistent basis. Friendlies take place between a select few and league matches take 5-8 texts to even get a response about playing a match. It is clear that few don't want to play in the league but for some reason still hang on. I can assure you, like Louis,Murph and Critt, your untimely respnoses to text messages and refusal to play matches on time will not be missed.
ReplyDeleteI don't know Louis, but I miss Murph and Critt. Not nearly enough blexting going on for my tastes.
DeleteI'll let Pruitt add to that if he really thinks that's true.
ReplyDeleteThinks what's true? That you're difficult to get a hold of? I think everyone in is in agreement with that.
DeleteWithin one comment of this post, the argument and attacking has become about timely match playing.
DeleteI'd love to know what this has to do with what happened on the pitch. Seems like misguided anger. Let's argue the match. France vs Germany.
Create another post please about playing matches on time. This post is about the match last night.
Just an observation
Pruitt...
ReplyDeleteNow play Tindle again...
Then Ian, and Ian again.
I wanna play!
Oh, congrats Tindle
ReplyDeleteAnd congrats again to Ian assuming he reads this and feels he didn't receive enough attention.
congrats ian.
Congrats Ian
Congrats Ian!
CONGRATS IAN!
all in good fun
I retract my statement. You'll receive MORE congratulations than Germany did. My own doing, I should have solicited it on the blog.
DeleteTo be fair, I wrote that article asking why I was not congratulated by Pruitt as a joke. In most sports the Commissioner hands the Champion's a trophy and congratulate them announcing them this year's champs.
DeleteObviously that wouldn't happen because the commissioner (or the foremost league organizer or authoritarian before Burns argues that Murph gave him that nickname)is also a rival manager.
I mean I called him a racist towards Hawaiians.
Congrats Ian?! This post is about France v Germany, let's focus on that.
ReplyDeleteFoot my mouth. You're right....big head
ReplyDeletePruitt- fair point. You have to realize you're the constant favorite (though I'm sure you'll argue that's changing) and no one congratulates the Yankees for winning. Righht or wrong, that's the way it is.
ReplyDeleteUntil the favourite is the team that wants the ball, wants to pass, and wants to move then I will be the "constant favourite." At the moment it isn't, and neither am I.
DeleteI think you'll find quite a few people congratulate the Yankees for winning, right ingo?
Not that I'm arguing for any congratulations. I do not need/want any of that. Just some admission of a wee bit of hipocrisy (or sportsmanship when it suits us).
Well, here we go.
ReplyDeleteThe beginning of your comment is unnecessary jabbing about promoting your style of play as being the favorite. The simple fact is that you, Pruitt, have the most trophies out of everyone, by a lot. You have always been the favorite because simply you are good. Really good. Hey, these are compliments. You get that right?
I can't say whether or not we congratulated you back in 2006 or 2007 or 2008 for your wins but at some point if became an attitude of disgust when you won. The reason isn't because you are hated. The reason is because when you are on top, people generally want to see you fall down. Unless I'm a fan of yours, which I'm not because you are my competition, it's refreshing to see a new winner. More than refreshing, it's exciting and feels like an accomplishment given your track record.
Now, granted I let a ho hum attitude and negativity prevent me from giving you your due congrats in the past, Im sure you're able to realize where I am coming from. You don't need the pat on the back because for the past few years it didn't seem like your accomplishing anything. You were (or are) the best an the best won. I get that monotone "whoop dee do" feeling. Then when a first timer knocks off the master, as I said, it's exciting and congrats are in order.
I know you will never ask for that and I don't expect you to, but on my part, I will be more aware of my attitude that goes along with your triumphs and I will give you your congrats when due. But, here we are once again, off topic of this post. This is the simplest of arguments. The underdog winning is much more exciting than the favorite, and that's you Pruitt...the favorite.
The beginning of my comment is not "unnecessary jabbing and describing my style as the favourite."
DeleteIn fact it's quite the opposite. Unlike the hypothetical betting line of Stoke v Barca in real life, this season has proved that ten behind the ball and hit and hope is now the likely winner (or at least draw-er) in FIFA 12. It is far easier to play spoiler the whole match, wait for the inevitable 1 on 1s and sneak a result. If it wasn't then it wouldn't work more often than it fails.
Therefore, I am not the favourite any longer.
You just put me as the favorite versus you? Is that what I'm reading?
DeleteHAHAHAHA! You can't be serious? Look at the tables man. Your stats are way superior than mine in all categories. Style of play has absolutely nothing to do with his discussion. You Braedyn are the best or were the best FIFA player. Just because you lose a match or two does not make you now the underdog. Favorites lose ALL the time. If that was never the case then why have tournaments. Why not just give Kentucky the NCAA championship if no underdog can win? Why not give Man city the title? Oh wait, they just lost to Swansea! I'm awaiting Mancini's comment where he says they are no longer the favorites and that Swansea ball is the way to win
City isn't playing FIFA they are playing football. As the season was stretched past 5 months, the favorites have switched. It's no longer about football, it's about FIFA.
DeleteSwansea play astounding football for their level. Astronomical posession and passing.
DeleteComparing real life to Fifa will cause a few problems. You have been in the lead against me the last three times we have played. You drew two and lost one. The only one you lost was because of a last minute formation switch.
If Hernandez was Remy I'd say you have turned at least one of those draws into wins. There is only one favourite now. He will win 3 more trophies before the season ends and you will soon yawn wider with each passing season.
I honestly can't believe what I'm reading. What fountain are you two drinking from? Style of play has absolutely ZERO to do with who is a favorite. But if you wanna talk style of play and say mine makes me a favorite then explain how I'm still losing or drawing and not winning games. Pruitt is still beating me. His argument does not make sense to me.
DeleteBefore we go on, tell me who you think next seasons favorites are?
At the beginning of the year: Pruitt Ian and myself.
Delete6 months of online FIFA matches and mastered cock tactics....Tindle and you
Again, I successfully picked the winner based on this
DeleteIt is far easier to play the spoiler. To sit 11 men behind the ball and clog. The issue is, in FIFA, this does not limit one's ability to score goals. For some reason, every clearance will find striker, and every game will contain at least 3 one v one situations. So where is the motivation to play offensively? Why want posession, why want to pass and move when there is no advantage to doing so?
DeleteTo have the better squad set up in that manner in a cup final was counterintuitive to every real life managerial decision. Yet it "worked". And I bet it would 9/10 times.
You have Palermo and Arsenal as front runners to win next year? I'm sorry David but I can't help but laugh. That is one of the most ridculous things I have ever heard of. I'm not trying to be rude but you honestly are making me laugh right now. I think its insane to think like that. Blind biased thoughts in my opinion.
DeletePruitt, I can't disagree with you on the clearance going right to a striker, yet shame on you if you say that never falls into your lap either. Oh how I remember many punts from Reina and thinking holy cow. And if this is a complaint, how does it portray to your match vs France? Did you not say that Tindle held the ball with his goalie? Was Tindle full of one on one sprints?
You ask about the motivation to play offensively...you beat me still! More often than not. Where are you getting your numbers that I'm now the favorite because I play a defensive counter attack style?
I'm not saying this to be mean or negative, but this is the same old point the blame somewhere else when you lose. Have you ever in your entire life said that you failed or lost at something simply because of the way you played? Honest question
"Comparing real life to Fifa will cause a few problems"
DeleteHOLY COW! YOU SAID IT! YEEEEESSSS
Tindle and I have been saying this for ages now. I'm so happy that you finally have acknowledged this. I'll stop involving real life if you do, agreed?
I think you are finally getting that we are playing a video game.
Read what I wrote ingo! Read something the way it's written not the way you want it to read one time please.
DeleteBig three are still favorites but after 6 months of figuring out the cock glitches and tactics to win, the other teams become the better "FIFA" players.
"At the beginning of the year: Pruitt Ian and myself."
DeleteIan won
Next
Right but then you tried to twist my words around when all I said that by the time we get 6 months deep, the teams that try to play the game like the sport is meant to be played suffer
DeleteFIFA > football
DeleteThis is so funny bc believe it or not, I've been trying my best to play your style of play. I don't hoof at all and have been doing my best to pass and move. Now, I play defend and counter which is not cock at all. You said it yourself David that if I would have played more like you in one of our matches I would have scored more goals. So in theory, my style still was a lesser productive approach.
DeleteIf I understand correctly, the small sample size you have suggests that I'm the favorite along with arsenal to win the league next season no? This based on my last, what, 4 matches? 5? In these matches, did I jump up in points? I lost to borussia in one match (and then complained, wait no I didn't). I drew with Pruitt twice and lost once. 4 matches and 2 points. Favorite? Come on man. I've been playing Pruitt for many many years and I have beaten before. So now that I play 3 close ones against him with zero victories, this is the debate we have? Complete insanity to me. Over thinking this
Correct. I have been lumping you in to this conversation because you're strongly defending cock play for some reason.
DeleteLet's take this point by point. Give me one thing about Tindle's performance that was cock play. Just one and we'll go from there
DeleteFirst we need a final definition of "cock".
DeleteCheap? Glitchy? Undeserved? Fortunate?
Then we can truly define t-rodasaurus rex's win.
Good point. Since either Pruitt or burns are the ones that coined the phrase, I'll let one of you explain. We should have done this a long time ago. Could possibly have leas to less arguing because as of now the term "cock" appears to be very negative.
DeleteSo do tell please
Burns and critt coined it.
DeleteCritt coined if. It has many meanings.
DeleteI think this type of cock comes from results that are undeserved.
Tindle has been also known to use the other cock which involves glitch tactics (shooting from corners, playing guys out of position, using a fast guy to run in straight lines,ect.).
Ok, I guess I await burns to respond with a definition then. I do believe you have used it before Pruitt so what is your take on it? When you say "cock" what is/are the meanings behind your usage?
DeleteOk, can we agree on undeserved bn you too for this match?
Delete*two
DeleteFair enough.
Delete11 shots (9 on target) all from inside or within 7 yards of the 18 yard box.
77% pass accuracy.
V.
4 shots (4 on target) one nearer the touch line than the 18 yard box, another a penalty, and a third set up by a clearance. 2 goals, not a pass preceding either.
69% passing.
47% posession (10-15% of that spent in Lloris' hands or before a throw in).
The better footballing side then, please?
Sub 70% passing in a video game means one of two things.
Delete1. The only balls being played we're 15-40 yard bombs up field
Or
2. He was so confident in his abilities that he decided to play with the controller upside down and it took him the first 60 minutes to get his bearings.
Ok, I was hoping to do this one point at a time so we touch on everything and don't just bounce around to argue our strengths.
DeleteSo, let's start with the first topic of shots and shots on target.
11 & 9 to 4 & 4
Since when does taking more shots entitle you to a win? Tindle and I had a long discussion before the match and that was literally his game plan. To not be aggressive unless he caught on a break and play a defensive game. This is the reason for the shot totals. I said let's not bring up real life but I need to here to prove a point. I have seen numerous box scores where liverpool will take 20+ shots with double digit on target and still lose or draw to a team with numbers like 9(5).
Do we need to continue on shot total as a topic of debate and shall we move to another topic?
The next topic can be quality of shots if you like
Number of shots demonstrates dominance, and my explanation of the quality of shots demonstrates that the only thing that kept him in the game was Hugo Lloris (when he wasn't mincing about the penalty area time-wasting)- the one player he doesn't control.
DeleteNumber of shots can show dominance yes but it doesnt entitle you to a win or doesn't mean you will or should win. I gave the pool example and if you would have listened to the conversation that Tindle and I had, which I'm positive you didn't, this is something he and I discussed very much. If you were to ask us both before the match who will have more shots, he and I would both have easily said Germany. This was his plan, his tactics, his strategy. Did Lloris make 9 saves? Yes. Don't you have Neuer, one of the main reasons Ian won according to some?
DeleteIf I was on the other side of this debate, I would be told "aim your shot better".
First of all a game plan where you are willing to allow domination in possession and shots allowed is insane and should punished with a 5-0 thrashing. Also, Neuer had to make 0 saves in this game. A retarded crow could've played in goal and it wouldn't have mattered.
DeleteIf we can't admit that someone being dominating in ever aspect of the game deserves to lose than surely we (you) are a few marbles short.
"His plan, his tactics, his strategy" was to allow almost treble the shots?!
DeleteThat is absurd, and quite frankly hilarious. If you cannot see why I'm claiming to be hard done by then we should end this right now.
On what planet is that "strategy" to be lauded?
The one where you can rely on a computer to be solely responsible for your best player.
Neuer had naff all to do. I could have played R. Enke in goal and had the same result.
Enke? Too soon..
DeleteAs stated in the article, France played with many different tactics throughout the tournament. How would it be smart of me to try and match Pruitt on precision passing and attack? He is stronger than me at that playing style and I admit that.
Instead, like many of his former opponents suggested, I came from a different angle and it's hard to argue with the results. Wouldn't that be a sign of a good manager? Or should I have lost but done it with the tactics that you want me to use? It's almost not worth winning at this point considering the backlash that you get and I'm sure Ian can agree there. If it's not c*ck tactics, it's c*ck players, both, ref decisions, the list goes on..
Again, letting some one dominate possession, shots and the game as a whole is not tactics that should ever produce a win.
DeleteDavid didn't you tell me that when Chelsea (both digital and real life) are at their best when they are "nicking the ball" off midfielders and defenders to create chances?
DeleteIt seems to me from an outside view of a game I was not able to watch that that is exactly what France did.
Right, but they press high up the field and do it in the middle of park. Its coming of midfielders not off my goal keepers hands
DeleteAnyone want to "give me props" for pickin the winner a couple weeks ago?
ReplyDeleteThis is just plain sad.
ReplyDeleteI mean in all of the years that Pruitt won nearly every trophy out there, we may not have congratulated him on wins, but we sure didn't berate him or make him feel that winning was less of an accomplishment.
DeleteThat's what I feel is going on here and that's why my resignation papers will be filed shortly.
Quit because you hate FIFA, or can't bear the thought of playing a match every ten days; but not over a few online personas and their wind-ups.
DeleteThe whole thing is just tiring (insert fat joke here). What's the point? It's not fun anymore.
DeleteIf you do not find the blog a fun diversion from work, etc. then ignore it. But I suspect you are placing too much weight behind words posted here.
DeleteI'm always glad to see that Pruitt still treats this all semi serious an is just having fun with debating and leaving our real lives. It's hard to tell with just text what someone's true feelings are. How different things would be if we said all of this in person.
ReplyDeleteAnyways, early in this post I mentioned I don't want to get involved, 50 comments later, I'm swimming in it. I can't help it. It's like a disease. I love debating/arguing on the blog to a certain point. That point is when I realize that no one is going to convince anyone to think different. We'll go 200 comments deep and in the end, although we may have come to some agreements, the majority of our opinions stay firmly rooted in our original beliefs. It can be exhausting and I end up realizing its hopeless.
I am bowing out of this post and moving on to the next two....to jump back into the water and go swimming again