Because two players have finished the season with 5 Man of the Match awards, a tie-break vote is needed. Place your vote in the comments section below, with a short/long explanation as to why you voted how you did (votes for candidates other than A. Robben and L. Suarez will be deleted immediately)...
I was leaning towards Robben because he was dominant for the league winners. But Suarez does have better stats. If Scott Parker can win it for a team that was relegated why not the little racist play maker for 'Pool?
Suarez's stats are clearly better but there were also matches that were aborted (by Burns) where we may have missed some of his goals/assists.
Also, no one dominated a game like Robben did. He could singlehandedly win a game for his side and did. Robben could take the ball from his own half and seconds later deposit it into the opposing net. Opposing managers feared Robben more than any other player in the league.
Lastly, Robben was an integral part of Bayern's League winning campaign. Without him in the Starting 11, Bayern didn't have the same energy and danger about them.
Ian- I had the same argument with Remy in Int'l tourney so know where you're coming from. That said, I would've voted Robben if Bayern went undefeated. That would be the only thing to make up for the gap in stats IMO. As much as I like the Bayern story this year, I have to go with Suarez.
L. Suarez - vastly superior stats.
ReplyDeleteMy real vote would've been deleted imidiatley.
ReplyDeleteI was leaning towards Robben because he was dominant for the league winners. But Suarez does have better stats. If Scott Parker can win it for a team that was relegated why not the little racist play maker for 'Pool?
Finishing two points off the title is being compared with relegation now? New heights for the blog, methinks.
ReplyDeleteL.S.
ReplyDeleteObvious reasons
Arjen Robben.
ReplyDeleteSuarez's stats are clearly better but there were also matches that were aborted (by Burns) where we may have missed some of his goals/assists.
Also, no one dominated a game like Robben did. He could singlehandedly win a game for his side and did. Robben could take the ball from his own half and seconds later deposit it into the opposing net. Opposing managers feared Robben more than any other player in the league.
Lastly, Robben was an integral part of Bayern's League winning campaign. Without him in the Starting 11, Bayern didn't have the same energy and danger about them.
Ian- I had the same argument with Remy in Int'l tourney so know where you're coming from. That said, I would've voted Robben if Bayern went undefeated. That would be the only thing to make up for the gap in stats IMO. As much as I like the Bayern story this year, I have to go with Suarez.
ReplyDeleteRobben didn't play the final league match of the season. One might say if he did...they would've gone undefeated.
DeleteAnd don't forget the forfeited matches where Burns quit and match facts were not collected. I think the last two that were combined were 18-1
Those matches were not premier league matches. Thus, their statistics have no bearing on this vote.
DeletePerhaps you'll be able to win it next year with RVP. We all know Tindle is Quiting because of lack of time.
ReplyDeleteOr the following year after the Gooners are relegated with a negative point total because of all the 12 day rule forefits
DeleteSuarez for the stats edge. But honestly, I think we can all agree that Kevin Großkreutz was the vastly superior impact player this season.
ReplyDeleteIs this about Real Robben messing that PK up in the Champions League Final?
ReplyDelete