19 December 2012
Barca nips Palermo in 90th minute!
Highlights. I am supposed to be working, but instead I am playing in my online soccer league. Barca in red and blue, Palermo in a highly fashionable white, pink, and black ensemble. This match was either a great display of defense or the worst offense played this season. I choose the former. All about the 5-5-0 and 5-4-1. After about 89 minutes of ping pong, one stoppage time to put my dog in her crate, 8 total shots combined, and one corner in the game, Iniesta broke through the middle and patiently put it in the back of net. Unfortunately or fortunately, it was in the 90th minute, and the silence was deafening from the Palermo manager. Palermo manager asked quietly to gather the match facts and Barca manager went back to work. Not sure where Valdez is in his current shutout streak, but it's a lot and impressive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When its my turn to play Barca would it be ok if I just played against the computer on my own time? That way I'm not wasting Murphy's time? I'd still be playing against his best players (Valdez & computer defense)
ReplyDeleteSeems appropriate to me..
DeleteFunny, I don't hear the whining about my style of play when I lose...what a bunch of clowns
DeleteNo that would not be ok. That would be weird.
ReplyDeleteDid anyone else catch this: "All about the 5-5-0 and 5-4-1." What has this league come to?? This is an embarrassment and should be fixed ASAP. I move to either lengthen matches to reduce the effectiveness of this garbage or at least move up match speed from slow to normal.
ReplyDeleteI'm up for the lengthening (I always am), speed change would probably aid the "computer jockeys".
DeleteI prefer defense, is Roger Goodell running this league?
DeleteOh yeah, remember when we made the switch to manual and everyone's high flying computer assisted offense shut down? That right, manual must have magically given Barca's defense a 100 rating in the game.
DeleteNo, that was EA who gave them that.
DeleteIngo should be allowed to play like that with his squad. Murphy on the other hand is shitting all over one of the greatest teams assembled.
ReplyDeleteThank you David.
ReplyDeleteLonger games would be awesome. I would argue that in this season the league has actually taken strides forward rather than backwards.
Manual and longer games? These are steps towards true simulation football.
Do you guys want to just go outside and play real soccer? Seem like that's where we're headed. Maybe we can argue that the computer didn't tie my shoes tight enough (argue only if you lose).
ReplyDeleteYeah...I can't imagine why a league full of guys who play with teams they support would be annoyed by someone picking the best club team in the world and the highest rated national team in the competition (both containing the highest rated player in the game), and essentially watching the computer grind out 0-0 and 0-1 results with 9 men behind the ball....what an unreasonable lot, eh?
ReplyDeleteInteresting it hasn't been a problem since the GIMP formed...what does the M stand for? I thought winning took care of everything...so much for that saying.
DeleteNo ones taking the wins away, but if you can't understand the reason for the rolling eyes, take a minute to contemplate.
DeleteI do understand, don't have a problem with it, never denied that I use the computer's assistance, rather what's the problem with it. I'm not a good goal scorer and never have been, so instead of getting beat 4-1 on average, I decided to make defense a priority and use what is available to me, and it has resulted in wins...why is that not commendable?
DeleteI would use the same strategy no matter who my team is. We give Tindle a hard time for crosses that worked, Ingo attempting a 5-5-0, you for ball control, I'm sure Burns for something when he was good, and Cushing we'll see how the 6-4-0 works, but either way, it's our job to find something that works best for our team and find out what works best to stop the other team. Right?
The difference between your strategy and all the others you listed is our tactics and style involve us actually doing something. Your heavy lifting was over after you went out on a limb and chose the best team ever. If one of us lesser teams try your defensive plan (do f*ck all and let the computer sort it out) we get sliced open frequently. Therefore it's clear you are not being rewarded for stellar defensive play, but merely being able to tell that Barca's stats are astronomical. Commendable indeed.
DeleteAgain, what would you like me to do about it? You still haven't addressed what's wrong with it. Should I conform to the pressure of the collectable whiners and go back to losing every match? Liverpool doesn't seem to have a problem playing Barca. Amazing what a couple of close games will bring out.
DeleteI'd say the fact that you're not actually playing a majority of the game is the problem.
DeleteI would argue that all I have done is describe what's wrong with it.
DeleteIt's far more telling that you don't consider the things I've said to be problematic.
So teams being annoyed, not supporting the team in real life, managers rolling their eyes, best offense in the game not being utilized, and claiming I don't play the majority of the game are the problematic considerations (now that I've won some games)...take a minute to contemplate...revolving door, are you in front or behind?
DeleteI'd like longer games. Also, I'll be unveiling a custom formation against Burns tonight, the classic 6-4-0. RVP at CDM.
ReplyDeleteWouldn't be the first time rvp was shifted to the midfield.... See last year against liverpool
ReplyDeleteI'm in favor of longer matches, but be prepared for more delays in the schedule. Pretty soon it will be a real 90 minute game, not sure about that
ReplyDeleteThe only reason Tindle complains about the games not being long enough is because he uses it as a crutch to defend his shit style of play. He's told me that even conceeded early in the match he feels that he has to rush to score an equalizer before the match is over. He just uses as an excuse for how he plays. He plays the entire match like he's down 1 in the 88th minute of a cup final. That's not because he's "rushed" it's because he's shit. He doesn't know how to pass and move to create he can just dribble straight and hammer in cross after cross from every angle and distance.
ReplyDeleteMurph,
ReplyDeleteI've fought this battle many many times before you came back. They want you to play like Barca plays in real life. You are playing it like a video game and manipulating the system to have better results. They want you to play the right way (which can be argued as a relative term) and take those 4-1 losses like a man.
Here is an example: If Messi is a striker and you played him on the wing because that works best for you, and you had positive results because of that, it has nothing to do with your tactical genius as a video gamer. David and Braedyn will be strong against the fact that you are not playing the way Barca plays in real life. These are two guys who are die hard European football fans. They live and breath it. They discuss it everyday and they want to see the GIMP played like real life.
It would be like playing Madden in the old days and taking the Falcons with Michael Vick. Every single play just role out and either run it or dump it off. You can exploit it in the video game but that stuff doesn't happen in real life.
I understand that you are working with what you have. Your skills along with your strategy and the strength of your team has led to much improved results and I commend you on that but there are players in this league who will always find it to be an abortion.
You can form a 6-4-0?!!! Teach me. That's what I originally wanted.
1. Stop using the word "play" in relation to his style. "Watch" is the appropriate verb.
Delete2. Your defense of improving results by learning the exploits of the game is admirable. Truly. Maybe one day someone will try to improve results by practicing the actual footballing aspects of the match engine. Then again, I suppose it is easier to figure out that the computer will do everything for you in defense than it is to work to get better at attacking.
3. Palermo parking the bus is brilliant. Brings a dash of variety to the league. They are the lowest rated squad and if you feel that's the best way to be competitive against the big boys, then I'm inclined to agree.
4. Barca parking the bus, however, is not. They are streets ahead of the rest of the pack in every aspect. If that is not enough, the computer will apparently play flawless defense for them as well. I'm finding it hard to believe you don't find that at worst a wee bit distasteful, and at best a blatant attack on the DFA spirit of competition.
5. "I understand that you are working with what you have."
He's not. He's ignoring it.
"Your skills along with your strategy and the strength of your team has led to much improved results..."
Which skill and which strategy is that?
I would say that he is better than he was before.
DeleteThe strategy of a 5-4-1 and letting the computer handle the defense
Gotcha. His strategy, computer's skill.
DeleteWhat's DFA spirit of competition? Bow down to Liverpool and Chelsea or else you'll be cast a fraud no matter what you do? (*fine print - should you lose the them, you'll be welcomed with turkey legs, gold pouches, whiskey, women, and friendly happy go lucky blog posts.)
Delete5. "I understand that you are working with what you have."
DeleteHe's not. He's ignoring it.
Based on the entire subject of this blog segment, I would argue that I have embraced what I have, a great defense and goalie.
Odd you would look at your team's FWD, MID, DEF, and GK ratings and determine that parking the bus is the best way to go.
DeleteOh, the computer won't pass, shoot, and score for you if you put the controller on the floor, now I get it.
Odd to you perhaps. It would hard for Messi to be in the top 3 for goals scored if I did that.
DeleteHe's only scored once since the switch to Manual. His free scoring days ended when Barca decided that effortless 0-0's and 1-0 were preferable to actually sweating out a 3-2 and 4-3.
DeleteIf the majority of the games are 1 goal games...I would say the level of sweating it out would be the same no matter the score. I prefer to have a pitchers' duel.
DeletePitchers' duel
A low-scoring game in which the starting pitchers on both teams allow few hits and at most one or two runs.
Not effortless, just not flashy
You prefer it because it allows you to spend 60% of the match without lifting a finger. Not because you're some FIFA savant as ingo seems to believe.
DeleteNever said it was a right or wrong strategy but it is a strategy
ReplyDeleteCoq Scale: Rate "computer plays defense" on it.
Delete[1].....[5].....[10]
1. Deflected goal
5. Theo Walcott at holding midfielder
10. GRod lets other people play under his GTag in GIMP competition.
I watched him make those subs at halftime asumed that he was also changing his shape. Then about 5 minutes in a saw gervinho and Walcott receiving the ball deep in his half. I paused to check out the player ratings to see what his formation was, had a chuckle and took a screen shot. Fucking hilarious!
DeleteMurph is at an 8 tbf
DeleteIngo your words are appreciated, but this is not a battle, it's simply not accepting the typical beratement that comes when challenging the top players.
DeleteGot ya Murph
DeleteCoq scale: 3.5
I just want the computer to blog on behalf of murph next time he wins. That's all I'm asking
ReplyDeleteI can go back to blexting if you prefer
DeleteI think this all goes back to before the season started and I told you what to expect when you take Barca and Argentina.
ReplyDeleteThis is exactly what I saw happening. You being berated in some shape or form for your choice of team to play with.
My next piece of advice Murph would be to ignore and move on. Much much easier said than done and I don't expect you to do that. So, I will sit back and watch now as the blog begins to heat up again and we see comment sections reach the 100's.
This season, it's Murph vs Prurns
It's clear to see who has the moral high ground in that battle, however. Shame you play such strict party lines, Ingo. Otherwise you could admit what's so clear to see: the overwhelming cockery.
DeleteI have no idea what you are talking about. Strict party lines?
DeleteOverwhelming cockery is opinion. We disagree on how coq it is. That's gonna happen. There is no definitive way to say how much something is coq.
This happens every season and I would like a refresher on exactly what that term "coq" means. It seems to be a very relative and loose term. It's factually and made up term by us, so someone please give me a written defintion of what is considered coq. Once we have that established, let's permanently post it somewhere on the is blog.
I've grown to see the term as meaning "bullshit". As in that was a bullshit goal. But then we have to determine what we mean by bullshit and this is why I have avoided the blog for some time now. However, I am at work and I don't want to make calls so I'm typing this
Letting the computer handle 60% of your play is not a tactic. It's ridiculous that your blindly arguing against Pruitt and I again. There is no way that you can honestly think we're in the wrong for complaining about a guy who's competing in the league by not doing anything in the game. If he wants to sit back and defend on his own with the 2 best attacking teams in then game then fine, but he's not doing it in his own. He's letting 6 players he's not controlling do all the work for him.
ReplyDeleteSo tell me who controls the other 10 players again?
DeleteParty lines being...an objective mind or DFA spirit of competition as defined above. Quick! the inmates are rebelling! We must try and overwhelm them with disparaging innuendos so they feel stupid! Brilliant!!
ReplyDeleteI'm not arguing against you guys, David. I'm stating my opinions. You have the right to feel the way that you feel.
ReplyDeleteI'm not going to go into detail of why I feel it is ok or think it less coq than you that Murph run his team the way it is. I know I won't get you to think different so it is completely pointless.
All I've done is give my rating of coqness and give a suggestion and some clarification to Murph on what he is dealing with because I have been in his shoes.
I find it troubling that you seem to be ok with someone winning a game without actually playing in it.
ReplyDeleteIngo, see above. Their words are the carrot and you are the horse. As you continue to try and achieve peace, you're really just the star in the puppet show. Tindle's a close second, and looks like I'm not too far behind...and ACTION!!
ReplyDeleteCock, at its essence, is a phrase that refers to benefits that are unearned. Ex: Shot off target - deflected into net - had you got what you earned it'd be a goal kick.
ReplyDeleteIf keeping clean sheets for putting the controller on the deck ain't cock I don't know what is.
It's 100% cock. Controlling less than 1/2 the players on the field is suddenly a commendable "strategy"?
ReplyDeleteIt would be impossible to control more than one player at the same time. 1st intermission. Show continues in...(next post)
ReplyDeleteThis horse is tired. Been following that carrot for 6+ seasons it feels like. These discussions would be soooooo much better if we were all together at the Abbey with "The Beast" and some "Midas Touch".
ReplyDeleteI'm out.
(Character Ingo walks off stage left and leaves the theatre)
The wind-up has reached critical mass. Once the key points get ignored for this long it's clear who has nary a leg to stand on.
ReplyDeleteNow the lies start: it is quite possible to control more than one player at a time, the rub is that you are not controlling any.
I can't resist.
ReplyDeleteI would say it is possible to control two players at once but after two it is literally impossible.
Also, if Murph put the controller down, what does he do when a defender takes the battle? Scramble to pick it back up? Is calling a second defender coq too? That's the computer. How about when your players make runs that you don't control, is that coq? What about when you talented player makes a shifty move without you hitting any special move buttons?
And if Murph is relying on the computer to play defense, which Burns thinks is 60% of the game somehow, that would say that you (or us) can't beat the computer? I don't know about you, but playing a real person seems more competivtive than the AI. AI is predictable. I think we all know that the AI is not aggressive and sticks a leg out at the last second when you get close. You want to beat Murph's defense? Just use what you know about AI controlled defense.
"...if Murph put the controller down, what does he do when a defender takes the battle?"
DeleteIllustration to make a point - not literally on the floor.
"Is calling a second defender coq too?"
No you are telling that man to press the ball. It can be used to great effect by those who posess the skills necessary to not be afraid when defending.
"How about when your players make runs that you don't control, is that coq?"
Not if you've been in the custom tactics menus and told your players how to act when in posession.
"What about when you talented player makes a shifty move without you hitting any special move buttons?"
Must be nice, never had that happen.
Its 60% of the game because that how much of the ball Barca's opponents usually have.
DeleteExactly... You remember those match facts I sent you Ingo. The one little old England bossed the game. Close to 60%
DeleteYou guys make me laugh. You really do. You have just narrowed down your argument to one match, in which Burns won, by a score of 2-1, and it was against Argentina whose defense is rated a 77.
ReplyDeleteBravo! Again:
1) It's one match in your sample size
2) Burns won
3) He scored 2 goals
4) It was against Argentina
5) Argentina has a 77 DEF rating
I would also like to add that you previously argued that Murph doesn't control his back 5. 60% possession does not give an accurate representation of your argument. If we are to divide the field into thirds with it being Defensive half, Midfield, and Attacking half, that 60% would have to mean that David only had possession 100% of the time in Murph's Defensive half. We all know that's not true. David had possession at midfield and in his own half which factor into that 60%. These are areas of the field in which Murph's back 5, players you argue he does not control, have no play in the game.
Your logic is inaccurate, it bounces all over the place, and the saddest thing of it all is that you are whining and complaining about someone's failed strategy. Your example is one of victory, domination, and the wrong team with a weaker defense nonetheless, and yet you still have to be bitter and complain.
I still can't get over that even in your triumphs we are whining now. What is next? Win a championship and complain?
And curtain!
I don't care if Murphy's defence was rated 100 or 11. He's not playing when he doesn't have the ball. That's the main problem. It only helps that he has good defenders.
ReplyDeleteThis makes no sense David. You saying that you don't care what his defense is rated doesn't mean that it is no relevant. You losing to a defense that is rated 77 and then complaining about it is ridiculous.
DeleteIf they were 11, as you stated above, and you lost, I would absolutely laugh at you. There is no way I would allow you to argue that he was better because he let an average ranked defense do their own thing.
And once again...you won the game. You scored 2 goals. This wasn't even Barca which is what you were arguing before.
You are alllllllllllllllllll over place
If they were rated 11 but were able to time their tackles perfectly and had no risk of being pulled out of position then they'd be harder to break down then a Murphy fully controlled 80 something defence
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThat's an opinion that I find to be highly false. It shows how much you doubt your ability.
DeleteI know that if I played a team in single player mode with an average DEF rating and my team was pretty darn good, I'm gonna come out with a victory. If I don't, shame on me.
Shame on me
Shame on me